Join us soon for cooking tips and classes right in our AlamoCafe in the AlamoShape Ballroom. For now, access a really fantastic selection of recipes of all sorts at geniuskitchen.com. This great, free site has all kinds of recipes (not all lowfat, mind you!) with nutritional breakdowns not only for the recipe, but for each main ingredient.
The comprehensive index even lets you search by ingredient if you have something in your fridge you need to use up. Below are a few healthier favorites of ours, and some from our members as well!
Coffee Lover's Shake
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup fat free instant flavored coffee (Hills Brothers cappuccino or even better International Coffee brand)
- ½ cup Fat Free half and half
- 2 Tbsp Sugar Free Vanilla syrup (Da Vinci brand)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
Blend in Blender until ice is completely crushed.
This makes four 8 oz servings. Makes 1 blenderful which is four 8oz servings, each 88 calories, 3 grams protein, 0 grams fat
* You can substitute 2 tsps of vanilla extract and 4 packets of Equal if you don’t have the vanilla syrup (it’s a little pricey at $5/bottle). Calorie count remains the same.
Italian Crème Soda
For each soda, fill a 16oz cup as follows:
Fill cup ½ way with ice
Club soda to top of ice (approx ¾ cup of club soda)
2 Tbsp Fat Free half and half
2 Tbsp Sugar Free Vanilla syrup (Da Vinci brand)
1 Tbsp Grenadine (or Nestle’s Strawberry Syrup)
Don’t stir, just stick a straw in it and get ready to make another!
Adjust ingredients to make it creamier (more half and half) or fizzier (more club soda).
You can substitute orange flavored club soda for a slight orange creamsicle flavor, or try chocolate syrup instead of grenadine. Calorie count remains the same. This cool summer concoction is the first beverage to really take care of my sweet tooth. I hope you enjoy it, too!
Makes 1 serving: 65 calories, 1 gram protein, 0 grams fat
Orange Julius Revisited
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- 3 oz (¼ of a large can) of Frozen OJ concentrate (do not mix with water, do not thaw)
- 1 small container (6 oz) fat free orange yogurt
- 4 Tbsp packed brown sugar (try the Splenda version!)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Blend in blender until OJ is completely smooth about 10 seconds.
Makes 1 blenderful which is about four 8oz servings, each 154 calories, 5 grams protein, 0 grams fat, approx 3% iron, 3% vitamin A, 19% calcium, and 123% vitamin C
* This would be great with an extra ½ cup Fat Free half and half and ½ cup ice to make it a frostier drink! It does not change the calorie count significantly (about 20 extra calories and 1 more gram of protein in each serving.)
You can add a banana or vanilla protein powder to make a great drink for yourself or your kids.
Green Chile Stew
- 1 Farmland Fresh Peppered Pork Loin or 1 whole chicken, skinned, deboned, cut into small pieces, approx 1 lb
- 1 13 oz tub mild frozen chopped mild green chile (thawed; save container for water measure)
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 bag mini baby carrots chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoons each of the following seasonings:
- chili powder, garlic powder, cumin
- 4 Beef bouillon cubes
Spray stock pot with cooking spray.
Rinse pork loin of most of peppered seasoning, but not all. Cut into bite sized pieces.
Brown onion and pork. Add vegetables, seasonings, boullion and stir.
Add green chile and use container to add water til pan is full, about 3-4 containers of water (6-8 cups.) Add more boullion and seasonings if it gets diluted too much.
Bring to boil and cook til vegetables are tender and liquid is reduced to desired point. You can substitue chicken for the pork and get almost the same fat/protein/calorie count. Makes 5 servings: 193 calories, 19 grams protein, 4 grams fat
Jeri’s Low Fat Potato Soup
Dice 6 large russet potatoes into 1” pieces. Boil in salted water for 10 min or until done, drain, saving broth.
In a large soup pot melt together:
1/2 t. butter
1 t. olive oil
1/2 c. finely diced onion and sauté until done.
In a medium pot or bowl wisk together:
1 T. flour
1/4 c. skim milk
2 T. half & half; mix well
1-3/4 cups skim milk
1 t. chicken bouillon granules; mix well and add to the pot with the onion.
Add 1/2 of the cooked potatoes and mash well. Add 1 cup of the water the potatoes cooked in along with the rest of the potatoes. Simmer another 10 – 15 min.
6 servings; Nutrients per serving: 353 cal/ 11 pro / 3 fat / 9 fiber